Register   |  Login
You are here >   Forums
Thursday, September 19, 2019
Minimize

SongShow Plus Community Forums

SSP VS Easy Worship
Last Post 05 Jun 2006 12:45 AM by . 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jonathan Fisher

--
15 Mar 2006 08:03 AM  
Hey all,

I have been playing with both software demo versions.  Our church will be going with one or the other.

BUT

I wanted to get some imput from all of you that have used software of this nature longer than I have.

Pros - Cons

Any help would be appreciated.
Jonathan
Be Blessed and Praise on!!!
Lee Menningen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Mar 2006 08:46 AM  
I haven't read anyone on this forum who claims to know EW beyond dabbling with the on-line demos. But a few thoughts:

1. SSP has much more to it than meets the casual eye.
2. Someone recently posted that EW lacks one of the most basic features used in the sanctuary - the ability to sequence a song different from its database. I suppose EW may eventually add this, but now I wonder what else is missing.
3. I am familiar with some ssp features that I have never heard any competitor claim they also had. Part of this may be because product developers use differing vocabularies, but the other part is probably these features simply don't exist in other products.
4. In this day and age, manned sanctuary support mode (music, scripture, message notes) is fairly main stream, and SSP supports all those things very well. We also need unmanned hallway-monitor support (promotions, recognitions, scripture, and other topics) which SSP also handles quite well; one exception, though: it cannot play the audio of a video backgound clip at this time (it does from the manned sanctuary support position, just not the unmanned hallway-monitor mode.)
5. SSP can be thought of as "SongShow Plus" for what I called the manned sanctuary support mode, but it can also be thought of as "SplashShow Player" for playing in what I called the unmanned hallway-monitor mode, that is, playing what are officially known as "slide shows" even though you can "videoize" them substantially well beyond the PowerPoint look; you know, with that added Splash look to them.
Lee
Lee Menningen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Mar 2006 08:52 AM  
And if you take the time to learn them both, I'd be interested in your conclusions...
Lee
Jonathan Fisher

--
15 Mar 2006 09:16 AM  
I have gotten into both of them pretty deep at this point and done full services on both. I haven't seen anything in SSP about the Hallway Monitors though. I downloaded the PDF manual and can't locate anything about hallway monitors. That interest me. But with EW being a Site lisence and not a projector lisence I would think that could be accomplished fairly easy with them being on a different system and then they get the full sound too.

I'm not sure what you mean by EW not being able to sequence a song not it is database. I have planned services but if I change to a different song..they can get to it and up on the screen with just a "double-click" on the song.
Jonathan
Be Blessed and Praise on!!!
Joel Osborn

--
15 Mar 2006 01:36 PM  
From what I've heard, with EW, when you insert a song into a program, it has to be the same verse sequence as it is stored in the database. If you want to have a different verse sequence in the program, you need to make a copy of the song and rearrange it.

With SSP, you insert the song into the program and it get the default verse sequence. But if you want to change the preprogrammed verse sequence, you just edit the verse sequence in the program object. No duplication of songs in the database just to support a different verse sequence.

Of course, with both products you have the ablility to select which verse/chorus you want on the fly. But we try to preprogram as much of our service as possible, so the operator pretty much just as to press the + key.

Some of the big things that SSP has that I don't believe EW has are the visualizations and 3-d transitions. The 3-d transitions are most useful for announcements and such. The visualizations can add movement to the screen w/o the expense of buying video loops, particularly if you like abstracts.

With V7 coming, you can also set the transparency on a visualization and put a high contrast image under it, to add some moving color to a still picture. Or you can make it snow on any still background.

The other thing is the Slide Show Builder. Some prefer this to Powerpoint, as you have access to the 3-d transitions and background visualiztions. This is what Lee was talking about for his hall monitors.

Remember that with SSP licensing you can add additional projection licenses for $99 each, and have as many workstation licenses as you want.

Joel Osborn
Communication Coordinator
The Connecting Church - Milton Seventh Day Baptist
______
"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
Lee Menningen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Mar 2006 06:34 AM  
Posted By jrfisher on 03/15/2006 9:16 AM
...I haven't seen anything in SSP about the Hallway Monitors though...
Sorry - that was my terminology intended to help clarify of what I consider to be a primary purpose of the Slide Show Builder. I'm sure you've read that SSB lets you build "slide" shows, not unlike Power Point but much more video-capable, and SongShow Plus is the player to play them. But these "slide" shows are not intended for sanctuary use as much as for building hallway monitors (or nurseries, or the kitchen, etc) or perphaps pre-service "announcement" loops which can simply be thought of as entending the hallway monitors into the auditorium for a short period of time.
Lee
Lee Menningen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Mar 2006 07:05 AM  
Posted By osborn4 on 03/15/2006 1:36 PM
...The visualizations can add movement to the screen w/o the expense of buying video loops, particularly if you like abstracts.
Another benefit is that with purchased visualizations, they are what they are, whereas in ssp they can be adjusted differently each time you use them.

With V7 ... you can also set the transparency on a visualization and put a high contrast image under it, to add some moving color to a still picture.
and this idea is not limited to visualizations - you can have a high-contrast cosss (or whatever) showing through any motion image; you create your own display in a way you can not buy anywhere.

Remember that with SSP licensing you can add additional projection licenses for $99 each, and have as many workstation licenses as you want.
Unlicensed ssp's are 100% functional but those computers will display a WORKSTATION watermark; the projection license is for the computers to be used to display publicly, it removes the watermark.

Lee
Lee Menningen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Mar 2006 08:09 AM  
Posted By jrfisher on 03/15/2006 9:16 AM
I have gotten into both of them pretty deep at this point and done full services on both...
Jonathan - question for you:

There is a problem with some motion backgrounds we have run into that you probably have, also. We have some purchased motions backgrounds that, as far as scenery goes, are nice nature scenes, yet they cannot be used behind songs. A sunset might be too intense, or too much contrast between parts of the video, or a candle is distracting, etc.

So for years those scenes or motion files just sat there on the server, unused. But now, with the new v7 effects capabilities (check out Doug's Ssplog) , I have been able to use them by adjusting some of the display parameters. Those files no longer have to just sit there!

Does EW have any such equivalent capability (to adjust the display parameters of video files)?
Lee
Mike Marini
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
27 Mar 2006 11:34 AM  
Don't know if easy worship does or not, I dont' think it does (i've used it for a while).

However, you ought to be able to use like Adobe Premiere or something to change the coloring of your videos, opacity, etc. Whereas changing them in SSP or whatever program will probably require more processing time and fiddeling...
Roger Kresge
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
27 Mar 2006 01:40 PM  
Posted By mikedawwg on 03/27/2006 11:34 AM
Don't know if easy worship does or not, I dont' think it does (i've used it for a while).

However, you ought to be able to use like Adobe Premiere or something to change the coloring of your videos, opacity, etc. Whereas changing them in SSP or whatever program will probably require more processing time and fiddeling...

Whoa!  Processing individual video files in Premiere will take vast amounts of time, processor cycles and disk space.  Plus the time to experiment in order to achieve just the right combination of settings.  Whereas in SSP v7, when it comes out soon, you can adjust the brightness, contrast, color, opacity and sharpness of any video clip and view the results in seconds.  This is going to be an incredibly powerful feature.

Blessings!

Roger
ChurchMedia.Net Member
Experience
Mike Marini
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
27 Mar 2006 01:48 PM  
lol! you may be right, I'll have to see how easy, stable and all that it is to do so, I might be able to eliminate some video files that are same thing, different shades of color. I guess my thing is being able to change the colors while live showing a song or whatever....hmmmm we shall see!!
patrickdunford

--
05 Jun 2006 12:45 AM  
Technical note: EasyWorship uses Borland Paradox as a backend database. This should work well provided you don't try to store it on a network or share it between users. But EW does promote the idea that you can share it between multiple users - which in my experience of Paradox is fraught with problems.
South City Christian Centre
Christchurch
New Zealand
http://www.southcity.org.nz/
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Minimize

Most Recent Posts

19 Aug 2019 05:46 PM
RE: Can't get new fonts to work in SSP by sara-t in Version 8.5

Thanks, Dick! I did read your thread and tried your fixes, but with no luck. I do appreciate the help, though.

19 Aug 2019 07:58 AM
RE: Importing PPT in slide show by George in Version 8.5

Hi Kim.

This is not an issue that we are familiar with but you can try the Preview build of 9 to see if that resolves the issues.  If not,  please contact support to report the detailed behavior in 8.5.

Thanks

05 Aug 2019 12:30 PM
RE: Shadow Disappears by gwhaverdink in Version 8.5

We have had this happen periodically on different computers.
I have found that switching to a different SSP Program and back again will cause the shadows to return.
Closing and re-opening SSP also works - but takes longer

23 Jul 2019 06:14 AM
RE: Buggy on a new speedy system by goodonline in Version 8.5

I spoke with Support at SongShow Plus. The issues I am having are known issues and they are working on them.
It sounds like they are putting more effort into getting version 9 out than fixing the issues with v 8.5 and windows 10. The support tech said that all of these issues have been fixed in v9

I have a new system coming in this next week with Windows 10 that will be the main media system for the church.
Any suggestions on how to work this out? For the near term I am thinking of loading windows 7 so SSP 8.5 will function properly. I drag my feet in doing this because of one software program that is not being actively updated.
I may need to look into other software.....
Any advice out there?

18 Jul 2019 12:02 PM
RE: Preview version 9?? by akins in Version 8.5

William, I have long since found that posting to the Wish List is
futile. I was one of the ones initially suggesting a Wish List and
I submitted many wishes/suggestions and was pleased with the
responses and implementation of quite a number. Unfortunately,
for the last few years the List seems to be pretty much a "Black
Hole." I'm sure that a Wish List requires almost a full-time person
to man and, when there is a shortage of staff, it is dispensable.
No good thing lasts forever!

09 Jul 2019 12:35 PM
RE: Themes: rename?? by akins in Version 8.5

I meant, "Of course, they wouldn't be needed ..."

05 Jul 2019 02:36 PM
RE: Assisting with CCLI Reports by osborn4 in You Tell Us!

CCLI no longer asks for projection activity. They just want "new" copies, which is when one is downloaded, printed or recorded, but not projected.

05 Jul 2019 02:35 PM
RE: installed fonts not showing on screen by osborn4 in Version 8.5

I still wish you'd allow OTF fonts. I can't always convert to TTF.

Windows allows them. Not sure why you don't.

24 Jun 2019 11:15 AM
Version 9.0 Preview Release by George in Latest News

The first Preview release of SongShow Plus 9.0 dated 06/21/2019 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

Try out the new Features and Themes!

Details can be found in the Version 9.0 subscriber forum.

16 Jun 2019 10:53 AM
RE: Restore Problem by hi-soft in Version 8.5

Thanks I will.

Minimize

SSP News

24 Jun 2019 11:15 AM
Version 9.0 Preview Release by George in Latest News

The first Preview release of SongShow Plus 9.0 dated 06/21/2019 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

Try out the new Features and Themes!

Details can be found in the Version 9.0 subscriber forum.

12 Feb 2019 01:59 PM
Version 8.5 - Production Release 02/07/2019 by George in Latest News

An updated Production release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 02/07/2019 has been posted and is available to users with an 8.5 license. 

The list of new features is available at https://www.songshowplus.com/WhatsNew.

Other 8.5 details can be found in the Version 8.5 support forum.

25 Oct 2018 10:50 AM
Version 8.5 - Production Release 10/23/2018 by George in Latest News

An updated Production release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 10/23/2018 has been posted and is available to users with an 8.5 license. 

18 Oct 2018 12:41 PM
Version 8.5 - Production Release 10/17/2018 by George in Latest News

An updated Production release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 10/17/2018 has been posted and is available to users with an 8.5 license. 

Note that there will be additional updates for Slide Show Artisan coming soon. Stay tuned!

26 Sep 2018 05:12 PM
Version 8.5 Production Release - 09/26/2018 by George in Latest News

An updated Production release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 09/26/2018 has been posted and is available to users with an 8.5 license. 

Note that there will be additional updates for Slide Show Artisan coming soon. Stay tuned!

Minimize

Account Login

Register
Forgot Password ?