Register   |  Login
You are here >   Forums
Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Minimize

SongShow Plus Community Forums

re-establishing preferred setup
Last Post 16 May 2017 07:14 PM by Dick Akins. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Dick Akins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
28 Mar 2017 08:25 AM  
Recently we have had a couple computer hiccups which required deleting the
SongShow Plus folder which contains a lot of the setup info. It was a real
hassle remembering what all the setting were and then putting them in. Is
there some way to save all  the setup info in one place so that, in case of
a crash, they could be easily restored? Also I would like to do the same thing
across different computers. For example, I would like my home computer
setup (with only one monitor and no projection) to be the same as the
church computer (with projection and a stage monitor). That is, "slide
properties" on the home PC to be the same as "slide Properties for monitor # 1"
on the church PC.
Dick
College Heights Baptist
Manhattan, KS
Wayne Taylor

--
28 Mar 2017 09:28 AM  
Two thoughts.
1. I just had a major computer crash, but thankfully, I had a program that I had used to clone the drive onto an external HD. Cloning, some call it Mirroring, backs up all the software programs and settings as well as the files. It was a lifesaver to restore. Everything was back to what it was before the crash.
2. I have also just used the backup program in SSP and backed it up to my external HD. I checked all of the boxes in SSP's backup program. Does anyone know if that includes the SSP program itself and the settings. If not, it would be a great idea for the wish list.
Dick Akins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
28 Mar 2017 10:20 AM  
Posted By Wayne Taylor on 28 Mar 2017 09:28 AM
Does anyone know if that includes the SSP program itself and the settings. If not, it would be a great idea for the wish list.

Maybe just add a check box for all default settings.
Dick
College Heights Baptist
Manhattan, KS
George Taylor
SSP Team
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
03 Apr 2017 10:27 AM  
All,

The Backup/Restore tool does not backup the SSP installer/program itself - this is readily available for download from our site - both current and past installs.

The Backup/Restore tool does have an option to save any or all of the saved  Slide Properties.  Important note - these must be saved.  Just setting/changing the current Slide Properties does not save them.  You will need to set your desired options in the Slide Properties settings then select the Save To... option and give them a meaningful name.  Once saved these can be restored or transported on the same or other install.

The Backup/Restore tool does not currently have an option to save/restore more detailed SSP settings like layout, credentials, folder preferences, etc.  This would be a good Wish List item.

Wayne - to your comment - Imaging your SSP machine is an excellent and highly recommended backup/restore practice.  I use it consistently on my machines.  I recommend doing this after initial setup and at set intervals after that.  There are several free tools available to do this with.
- GEORGE

Welcome to the SSP Evolution!
Dick Akins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Apr 2017 08:49 AM  
There are several free tools available to do this with.
Are there some you would recommend?
Dick
College Heights Baptist
Manhattan, KS
Joel Osborn

--
04 Apr 2017 08:55 AM  
I've used clonezilla to back up, but haven't had to restore. http://clonezilla.org/
Joel Osborn
Communication Coordinator
The Connecting Church - Milton Seventh Day Baptist
______
"...if we are to glorify God fully, we must engage our mind in knowing him truly and our hearts in loving him duly." - John Piper, Think
George Taylor
SSP Team
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Apr 2017 11:06 AM  
Macrium Reflect Free
- GEORGE

Dick Akins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Apr 2017 02:28 PM  
Dick
College Heights Baptist
Manhattan, KS
Gary Presley
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
23 Apr 2017 07:17 PM  

In the Display Properties (Theme) there is a save button that can save your default settings to a file. Once done, copy that file to a thumb drive, network share, CDROM, another computer, etc. You can then "Load" those settings on any SSP installation.

gap

EDIT: The file is saved in the Root SSP folder.

---___----___----___---
   /    )  /     )   /     )
_(__/_(___(__/___/____
      /            /
(__/            /
Dick Akins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
24 Apr 2017 06:36 PM  
That's handy; Thanks Gary.
Dick
College Heights Baptist
Manhattan, KS
Bruce

--
04 May 2017 01:48 PM  
+1 for Macrium Reflect... use it often.

It's handy to copy all of your SSP data before you revert to a stored image, or depending on setup, have your data permanently on a second drive, so it remains after the reinstall.
Church rig: H170 / i7-6700 / 16Gb DDR4 / 512Gb M.2 SM951 / 2 x 7970 graphics cards / M-Audio soundcard, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
Dick Akins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 May 2017 09:41 PM  
Macrium Reflect free
I understand about backing up -- the question is: what to back up in order to re-establish SSP or to
mirror it on a different computer?

And Gary said to use Display Properties (Theme). Where is that? And will that answer the
question above?
Dick
College Heights Baptist
Manhattan, KS
Gary Presley
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
13 May 2017 07:18 PM  
I haven't loaded SSP on my home PC since I last rebuilt it, so I am going by memory. In Slide Show Builder it uses the term "Theme" to set default display settings. I don't know if this is the same for the main display properties for SSP. I think you used to be able to bring up the Display Properties with the F11 key, but there is also a 'button' for it near the top of the SSP Control Panel, as well as a menu option. Once in Display Properties there is a Load button and I think a Save button. This will allow you to save your current setting. You can then copy that file and paste it to any other SSP computer, load it in the Display Properties, and it will allow all your default settings to be the same.

---___----___----___---
   /    )  /     )   /     )
_(__/_(___(__/___/____
      /            /
(__/            /
George Taylor
SSP Team
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
16 May 2017 06:11 PM  
Posted By Dick Akins on 05 May 2017 09:41 PM
 -- the question is: what to back up in order to re-establish SSP or to
mirror it on a different computer?

Dick/All - I wanted to clarify a couple of things here since the conversation seems to be wandering back and forth between cloning/imaging an SSP system and backing up/transferring the "preferred settings" to another machine -- those are two completely different things.

cloning/imaging:
As discussed, a user can clone/image the entire SSP machine for catastrophic failure recovery using the tools mentioned.  This is best for drive failure recovery or replicating on a duplicate system.  This *might* work on a slightly different machine but every tool's tolerance for this is different so your mileage may vary.  Some imaging tools will also let you mount the image to extract specific files but in my opinion this is a secondary use - you should be backing up important files separately.

backing up/transferring the "preferred settings":
This would be a completely separate and possibly unavailable process, depending on what you consider "preferred settings".  If what you want is just the Slide Property settings, that is easy (procedure below) but if your "preferred settings" are to capture all settings in SSP like window position, SSP layout, last folders visited, online services credentials, Preferences, Display settings, etc (as another user suggested) - that is completely different. At this time, there is no "button" or backup selection that will capture any of this data. In addition, this info can, and does vary per user.  The places where this stuff lives should not be explored by the end user.

The OP (Dick) seems to be asking for just the Slide Property settings: 

As mentioned before, you have to explicitly save these before they can be backed up:

Open SSP
From the main toolbar click Slide Properties.
Select All Media (If you have more than one display enabled this will be available for each one)
Set all property groups to the settings you would like to save.
Once complete, click Save To... and select the User Properties Files folder.
In the file name field, enter a meaningful name that describes the settings, ie  "Display 1 - All Media - Main Service".
Click Save.

Repeat this process for all the Media Types and displays that you want to save settings for.

From the main toolbar select Tools > Backup / Restore...
Click Backup Files >
From the list on the left, check Slide Properties.
Click Next.
Select destination (desktop recommended - transfer later) and name the file - click Next.
Backup operation will commence and complete - Click Next to close. 

Once complete, transfer to destination system and restore.

I hope this will sufficiently address this for everyone....
- GEORGE

Dick Akins
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
16 May 2017 07:14 PM  
I was thinking of something along the line of the information contained in (for my PC):
C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\R-Technics|SongShow Plus\8.3\
All the setting seem to be there; why not provide a simple way of
copying all the settings to a file so that we could re-establish SSP
just like it was in case of a crash or for a new installation,, or even
(for non-machine dependent settings) so that we could easily
set up the projection and workstations identically.

Dick
College Heights Baptist
Manhattan, KS
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1
Minimize

Most Recent Posts

23 Jan 2018 09:34 AM
RE: 8.4 Wont Display on Screen by George in Version 8.4

Dave,

It is possible...  I suggest that you call in to the support team - they can connect and sort out any settings issues that you might have pretty quick.

Thanks for choosing SongShow Plus!

18 Jan 2018 02:17 PM
What Bibles are available in SongShow Plus? (FAQ039) by George in SongShow Plus FAQs

There are many common bible translations available for SongShow Plus.  Initially bibles were added as needed with individual plug-in installations for each bible.  These plug-ins are still required to be downloaded and installed for SongShow Plus version 7.  Starting with SongShow Plus version 8.0, all bible files are included in the installation and the free public domain bibles are available with the initial activation.  Also included are licensed bibles which are unlocked with purchase activation.  As SongShow Plus continues to evolve, additional bible content is added to new versions that is not available for previous versions.  If newer bibles are desired, an update to SongShow Plus may be required as well.  The information below indicates all bibles available and the version of SongShow Plus they are available in.

SongShow Plus includes the following Public Domain Bible translations free of charge:

• American Standard Version (ASV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • King James Version (KJV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • Tree Of Life Version (TLV) -- SSP 8.2 and Newer
  • World English Bible (WEB) -- SSP7 and Newer

SongShow Plus includes the following copyrighted translations available for a per-machine license fee:

• Amplified Bible (AMP) -- SSP 8.4 and Newer
  • English Standard Version (ESV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • New American Standard Bible (NASB) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • New International Version 1984 Bible (NIV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • New International Version 2011 Bible (NIV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • New King James Version (NKJV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • New Living Translation (NLT) -- SSP 8.0 and Newer
  • New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • Reina-Valera 1960 Bible (RV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • Revised Standard Version (RSV) -- SSP7 and Newer
  • The Message (MSG) -- SSP7 and Newer

This list will be updated as new bibles are added for use with SongShow Plus.

(FAQ039)

15 Jan 2018 03:07 PM
Slide Show Artisan stand-alone Preview Release - 01/11/2018 by George in Latest News

An update to the Preview release of the stand-alone Slide Show Artisan dated 01/11/2018 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

Try out the new stand-alone Slide Show Artisan Slide Show Creator!
Available for both Windows and Mac OS X.

Details can be found in the Slide Show Artisan Subscriber Forum.

Version 8.5 Preview Release - 01/11/2018 UPDATE by George in Latest News

The latest update to the Preview release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 01/11/2018 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

Try out the new Artisan Slide Show Creator!

Details can be found in the Version 8.5 subscriber forum.

07 Jan 2018 10:22 AM
RE: Video playback settings by osborn4 in Version 8.4

OK. Seems like an extra menu we have to navigate for little payback. We can select what we want from the sub menu, or if the playback dialog would launch w/o the submenu, we could use that extra mouse click in the dialog box. Same number of clicks. Extra work for you.

03 Jan 2018 07:17 PM
RE: Sending control keystrokes to SSP (AHK) by osborn4 in Tips & Tricks

This looks like a great idea. Thanks.

29 Dec 2017 03:07 PM
Slide Show Artisan stand-alone Preview Release - 12/21/2017 by George in Latest News

The initial Preview release of the stand-alone Slide Show Artisan dated 12/21/2017 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

27 Dec 2017 11:52 AM
RE: iOS 11 Update by Rick in Mobile Apps

Thank you for the update!!  Look forward to getting our app back!

19 Dec 2017 07:31 AM
Version 8.5 Preview Release - 12/16/2017 UPDATE by George in Latest News

The latest update to the Preview release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 12/16/2017 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

07 Dec 2017 03:35 AM
SSB errors by akins in Version 8.4

The Black-White gradient backgrounds seem to be way off center for:
Swirls; Center out, gradient; center out, ripple; center out, ripple skewed; and right-shading.
They are not at all like what is shown.
Question: Do these only apply if black and white are chosen for the left and right colors?

07 Dec 2017 01:56 AM
RE: On-screen indicator symbol? by akins in Version 8.4

Thanks - for the present the old fashion hand-wave may be the easiest, safest, and all-around best method.
Now if I had something to jog my attention when I need to signal.

06 Dec 2017 02:46 AM
RE: 8.4 Plus 10/31 Update by George in Version 8.4

The 10/31 build of 8.4 is the latest build and would the the one used to update.
The cleanest way to update would be to simply download and install the 10/31 build from the Download Page and install it.

05 Dec 2017 05:20 PM
RE: DMX in SSP by osborn4 in Version 8.4

If your DMX controller can accept MIDI input, theoretically, you could fire a MIDI cue from SSP as an audio file. Of course, your SSP machine will need to have a midi card.

Theoretically.

05 Dec 2017 11:24 AM
Presentation Remote for PowerPoint by jonereb in Version 8.4

I need recommendations for a presentation remote for preachers who use PowerPoint. It needs to have a 100 ft. range and work with a room full of cell phones and wifi interference. My current remote works fine when the room is half full, but with a large crowd, it is completely untrustworthy.

01 Dec 2017 03:19 PM
Slide Show Artisan by dreece in Feature Reviews

With the first preview release of SongShow Plus 8.5 we are introducing the new Slide Show Artisan slide show creation tool. Read more...

01 Dec 2017 01:57 PM
Version 8.5 Preview Release by George in Latest News

The first Preview release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 11/30/2017 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

27 Nov 2017 10:51 AM
RE: SSB: copy background to multiple slides by George in Version 8.4

Hey Dick.  Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

If you contact the support team they can walk through that with you and then if there is a bug or something incorrect in the user guide they can identify that and report it.

Thanks again.

21 Nov 2017 06:02 PM
RE: Delete or change "Display Properties" from list by akins in Version 8.4

Seems to be -- but I haven't checked very far.

13 Nov 2017 06:16 PM
RE: Rebuild Indexes (not responding) by akins in Version 8.4

OK

10 Nov 2017 08:29 AM
RE: video with audio in a slide show? by akins in Version 8.4

That's what I did, but the video plays without any audio.

Minimize

SSP News

Slide Show Artisan stand-alone Preview Release - 01/11/2018 by George in Latest News

An update to the Preview release of the stand-alone Slide Show Artisan dated 01/11/2018 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

Version 8.5 Preview Release - 01/11/2018 UPDATE by George in Latest News

The latest update to the Preview release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 01/11/2018 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

29 Dec 2017 03:07 PM
Slide Show Artisan stand-alone Preview Release - 12/21/2017 by George in Latest News

The initial Preview release of the stand-alone Slide Show Artisan dated 12/21/2017 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

19 Dec 2017 07:31 AM
Version 8.5 Preview Release - 12/16/2017 UPDATE by George in Latest News

The latest update to the Preview release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 12/16/2017 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

01 Dec 2017 01:57 PM
Version 8.5 Preview Release by George in Latest News

The first Preview release of SongShow Plus 8.5 dated 11/30/2017 has been posted and is available to users with a current subscription. 

Minimize

Account Login

Register
Forgot Password ?